Meet the New Ministers Appointed by President Adama Barrow.
1. Ousainou Darboe, Foreign Affairs, External Relations and Gambians Abroad. He’s longtime leader of UDP. Barrow became his party’s candidate when he was imprisoned last year July for ‘unlawful protest. He was released to a hero’s welcome
2. Isatou Touray, Trade, Industry and Regional Integration. She’s the only woman, so far, in Barrow’s cabinet, besides Fatoumatta, the vice president. A prominent women’s rights activist before she joined politics and declared her intention to run for president as independent candidate. She will particularly target women and aim to improve them in business
3. Mai Fatty – Interior – He’s the founder and leader of Gambia Moral Congress. He may not have experience in issues of security but he’s a smart and astute lawyer
4. Amadou Sanneh – Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs. He was Barrow’s boss (treasurer) at the UDP until his conviction on sedition. He was released only yesterday
5. Henry Gomez – Youth and Sports. He’s the founder and leader of Gambia Peoples Democratic Party. He’s engaging and has energy. He spends most of his time abroad
6. Hamat Bah – Tourism and Culture. A former hotelier, Hamat has vast experience in tourism. He was the head of Mansea Beach Hotel
7. Omar Jallow – Agriculture. He doesn’t look like an agriculturalist but O.J’s passion for this sector is immense. In fact, this was the position he was handling in the previous government when Jammeh took over
8. Lamin N. Dibba – Lands and Regional Government – He was the chief propagandist for the UDP. He’s from Salikenni in Baddibu and was also imprisoned together with Darboe.
9. James FP Gomez – Fisheries, Water Resources and National Assembly Matters. He’s also from the PPP. He served as mayor of Banjul for ten years during the first republic. He’s great listener, honest and a devout Christian